maanantai 10. toukokuuta 2010

One week behind!

Hi again my dear friends!

We've stayed in Nepal already one week and it has gone quite nicely after the difficult and different start. I got used to this rhythm slowly but surely and now all seems to be in order, although we've some understanding problems with nepalis every once in a while. That's why we're not that sure anymore on what things we're going to concentrate in the project, but anyway I'm going to do what Yaba asks me to do and that'll do, I hope. I almost forgot to mention that the demonstrations are finally over at least there's a little break and partys try to find a solution without bothering the citizens. Thanks to that traffic is back in town, shops and grocery stores are finally open which means that high prices of the groceries and vegetables are going down and the people's life is getting back to normal. During last weekend me and Jari ventured eventually to go out from our neighborhood and wandered around the Kathmandu. That was a very nice way to spend a sunny Saturday, and after that, of course, I got sunburns. I'm just hoping that they're not that bad and I'll just get a beautiful tan. After that day I was even wiser and bought sun lotion what's ment for the kids (SPF 50 ;). On Sunday we visited in the CODEFs office with Yaba at the first time and during that visit I got wise to cruel reality that there's only one free day per week in Nepal! And that happens to be Saturday, so the only day to have a whole night long-party is friday, poor nepalis, I just hope that we'll have a little bit more day offs :)

below are some photos of CODEFs office, city of Kathmandu and makaki-baby and its angry makaki-mom




Today we had a nice day, we went to the project village, Devichaur, and during the journey which is long, difficult and in a quite high altitude (and Yaba wants us to go there our own by motorbikes in someday, o-ou! Will see if that day ever comes), we saw the great views and the traditional living of nepalis and the ethnical group of tamangs. First we stopped in the field office, where the staff of the project stays and has meetings together. The time at the field office was a bit boring because nepalis planned things in nepali and that's why it was impossible for us to understand the confersations. After a couple of hours we went to visit in some parts of the village and during that time we also realized that the village isn't just a little area with about 500 housholds. Actually the village extends for several kilometres from one hill to another and you can't even see the whole village at one sight. So we'll have a lots of travelling on the hills of the Himalaya, that's very interesting but also it may be dangerous while the monsoons and landslides. There was a school at the one part of the village where we stopped and I had lots of fun because of the kids around us. It was very clear that in those places white people hasn't been seen that much, kids gathered around us and stared us without feeling any shame. And when I put the camera out they ran away and tried to hide themselves :)


At the end of this text I could say something about the food in here. It's spicy but delicious! The one of the must-things-to-do is to taste momos, which are a kind of nepali versions of Mexican tacos. They are made of wheat, I think, and filled with vegetables or meat, I really like them and they remind me of the time in Mexico!

Good night, sleep tight!

-Heli-

P.S. Here is photo of geggo what I promised to add last time :)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti